M&A Tax Specialist - Mandarin Speaking In-House
Chinese Sovereign Wealth fund (exclusive search)
£50,000, £4,000 cash benefits & 30% bonuses
10% pension, private medical insurance & 4x salary life cover
37.5 hours per week & 33 days holiday
This is an exclusive and confidential search for a Chinese state-owned, sovereign wealth fund. The business provides advisory services for investments for PE Houses, family offices, corporations and SMEs for strategy, M&A and venture capital matters. The core of the investment services covers real estate and infrastructure, deeply embedded in the European market. With a low appetite for public media presence, the business holds a solid reputation and branding in Chinese and Pan-European market.
With the Headquarters based in China, the team currently stands at 23 in London. With the CEO and Head of Investment based in the USA, the Deputy CEO manages the daily operations in London, with 5 Heads reporting in from local functions. Namely, these are general administration (IT & HR), Risk & Compliance, Legal, Investments (Real Estate & Infrastructure) and Operations (Tax and Performance Analysis). With the Tax team at just 3 in number and with all compliance work outsourced, there exists a great opportunity for breadth and flexibility in each member's responsibilities.
The Role - M&A Tax Specialist - Mandarin Speaking In-House:
This role revolves on supporting the Head of Tax across a variety of direct investments. The remit of taxes here will be broad, and key points of contact will include outsourced advisors legal, investment and operations teams. The remit of your role will be to coordinate strategic tax initiatives for Pan-European investments and ensure the group remains compliant with acceptable risk appetite. The role is anticipated as split between structuring, due diligence, reporting and advisory, with anticipated responsibilities to include:
- Providing tax advice and leading on M&A projects
- Managing the correspondence and potential disputes with the relevant tax authorities in conjunction with external advisers
- Coordinating the timely tax advice on enquires raised by other teams
- Liaising and with relevant tax authorities or external tax advisors where necessary
- Evaluating tax risks with business objectives and making recommendations that are objective, practical and technically appropriate in support of business objectives
- Drafting required tax reports and communicating with HQ where necessary
- Managing the SPV's tax compliance issues
- Ensure tax filing and compliance requirements are met and in good order daily
What your CV will need to demonstrate to be invited to interview:
- Mandarin language skills are highly advantageous
- At least part-qualified ACA/CTA/ACCA/ADIT/CPA
- Fundamental specialism in corporation tax with international element
Bonus points: the successful candidate is likely to demonstrate include experience in transaction tax (real estate/infrastructure preferred) on international deals. An adaptability to Chinese culture in the corporate environment (approximately 50% of the staff in London are Chinese nationals) will be highly advantageous also.
The disposition which will be looked upon favourably at interview:
- Analytically minded and a born problem-solver
- Strong communication skills and adaptability to a specific Chinese corporate culture
- A positive can-do approach and collaborative orientation with team members
- The eagerness to take functional ownership for tax projects
- The ability to work under pressure, manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Able to work under both autonomous initiative and instruction where necessary
The selection process:
- Submit your expression of interest (attached with a CV/LinkedIn profile) to email@example.com to frame the preparatory discussion with Jay on 02072696343.
- A test on transactional tax (passing here is not essential, but this assists the understanding for the Head of Tax for developmental needs in-role. This test will be conducted on-site and will involve a follow-up meeting with the Head of Tax and additional tax team member.
- Final stage interview with HR & CEO/Head of Investment.