In any interview, you will be asked questions that will allow the interviewer to understand your competencies and your skills. Below are a few examples to help you to prepare.
Motivation, Influence & handling pressure
- What motivates you and why?
- Can you give an example of when you made a suggestion that was implemented?
- Can you give an example of when you had to influence a colleague, a team or your manager?
- How do you react to taking on responsibilities?
- How to you cope with deadlines?
- Give me an example of targets you are set and how you achieve them?
Organisation, work ethic & leadership
- How do you organise your day or prioritise work?
- How do you deal with conflicting deadlines?
- How do you like to be managed?
- What management style do you like to employ?
- Do you often have to work long hours?
- Give an example of where you have been an integral member of a team.
- Give an example of how you manage underperforming staff
- Give an example of a project you managed and the issues you faced (remember you may be asked for an example of a project that went well or one that went badly).
- Can you describe yourself in 3 words?
- How would your boss/colleagues describe you?
- What are your key strengths and weaknesses?
- Why do you want to work for us?
- Why do you want to leave your current employer?
- If you fail to reach a target, how do you handle it?
- What was said about you in your last appraisal?
- What salary are you looking for?
- What attracts you to this job/company?
Competency based questions
- These are questions that require you to describe an example of a situation and are usually directly in line with the job specification. Make sure you have read it well.
- Competency questions can test a number of different skills, some of which include (but are not limited to); Communication, Job Motivation, Teamwork, Client Service, Commercial Awareness and Operational Excellence.
- Ask your recruiter for a list of positive and negative indicators when trying to demonstrate any of the above skills.
- Tell me about a person you found it difficult to work with?
- What have you done to improve communications/motivation in your team?
- Can you tell me about the most demanding client that you have worked with?
- Provide an example of when you have had to manage expectations during a project?
- Can you give an example of where you had to handle conflict within your team?
- Tell me about a time when you a have persuaded a colleague to come around to your way of thinking.
- What has been the most challenging project you have undertaken in your current role?
- Can you tell me a time when you had to persuade a client to take on board certain advice you had given?
- Can you give me an example of a project you have had to manage? Have both a successful one and an unsuccessful one.
- Can you give an example of where you have had to manage your boss?
If you have any questions, or would like more advice on preparing for an interview please contact one of our consultants on +44 (0)20 7269 6333 or e-mail email@example.com