Private Client Tax Consultant
£50,000 to £60,000
The Role and the opportunity
Our client is seeking a highly motivated, proactive, and commercially astute tax supervisor for their modern and sophisticated London office. This is a highly visible role, which will have significant exposure to experienced and senior stakeholders, with a varied set of responsibilities.
The position has been advertised as a Tax Supervisor / Assistant Manager role, but they are open to candidates interested in applying as a Tax Manager.
Our client understands that engaged and energised people are the key to business success. They will therefore provide the opportunity for the successful candidate to grow and develop and expand their areas of interest. This can include opportunities to be involved in advisory work and/or BD.
The firm has an excellent record of supporting development and growth, with many of our senior managers and partners having either trained with us or joined the team as supervisors and assistant managers.
You will initially be responsible for ensuring the personal tax compliance process runs smoothly and opportunities to add value with bespoke advice are identified and implemented. As a training firm they benefit from the enthusiasm and fresh perspective of a team of ACA/CTA trainees. The successful candidate will work to train and develop the team while reviewing work prepared by more junior staff to ensure accuracy and quality, while offering actionable feedback and fine tuning our processes.
Furthermore, the role offers the opportunity to interface with different departments to ensure offering a joined-up service to a diverse portfolio from owner managed businesses and high-net-worth individuals.
In this newly established role, you will play an integral part in the tax team, making a significant impact on our clients by providing technically sound and commercially relevant tax guidance. You will need solid technical expertise and a strong background in personal tax, although broader tax experience is a plus.
The successful candidate will bring a confident, can-do attitude, combined with great attention to detail. The role will also involve training and mentoring junior staff, so developing team leadership and team-working skills are also very important.
Overall, this is an excellent opportunity for a tax supervisor/assistant manager to join a growing department in a rewarding new position and take the next step in your career.
Main duties and responsibilities
Technical & Practical
- Manage a diverse portfolio of personal tax clients, delivering high-quality income tax services to include preparing returns, handling client queries and portfolio management.
- Provide advisory services to a wide range of clients.
- Actively seeking opportunities to offer value-added services when appropriate.
- Maintain workflows and ensure reports are up to date.
- Liaise with HMRC, as needed to resolve queries or disputes or request statutory and non-statutory clearances.
- Complete the billing process effectively and efficiently. Ensure work is completed on time and within budget.
- Research tax queries/technical queries and propose solutions for review.
- Supervise and assist with training of more junior colleagues in the department.
- Review of personal tax returns and other work to ensure consistent quality.
- Assist with other ad hoc work within the department as required. Examples include review of corporation tax returns, assistance with VAT technical research and internal assistance preparation of in-year CGT returns, IHT returns and ERS returns.
- Develop and maintain good client relations to ensure high standards of customer care are met and we continue to been seen as their key advisor and important business partner.
- Liaise directly with clients to resolve queries or obtain further information, ensuring communication is timely, accurate and clear.
- CTA or equivalent qualification
- Proficient in Microsoft packages,
- Experience using CCH income tax, or Alphatax corporation tax a plus
- Proven track record of managing own portfolio.
- Proven tax experience in producing high quality work within budget.
- Tax advisory experience
- Excellent inter-personal skills to work effectively with Partners and staff at all levels.
- Ability to listen, understand and adapt to the needs of clients and colleagues.
- Committed to high standards of client service, with attention to detail.
- Adept at assessing complex financial/operational/compliance processes and assessing risks.
- Proactive, and with a can do attitude.
- Effective time management skills and the ability to manage a client portfolio and ad hoc projects through prioritising work to handle conflicting demands and/or challenging pressures for resources.
- A strategic thinker yet pragmatic, commercial and results driven.
- Salary £50,000 - £60,000 depending on experience.
- Hybrid working policy.
- Salary sacrifice pension
- Option to purchase or sell up to 5 days annual leave.
- Interest free travel loan
- Private Health insurance after year 3 years continuous service
- Cash Plan Scheme
As an employer, we are committed to ensuring the representation of people from all backgrounds regardless of their gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, disability status, or any other aspect which makes them unique. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply and would encourage you to let us know if there are steps, we can take to ensure that your recruitment process enables you to present yourself in a way that makes you comfortable.